Thursday, May 1, 2014

FLOWERS, FLOWERS EVERYWHERE!!!! (lol)


1. I found this type of flowers near the Alamo dorm, and there are several trees like this one on campus. As you can see, the flowers mostly grow on the lower level of the branches, so the leaves on top can block the strong sunlight for them. The flower are also very open to pollen transport.


  Because of its high density on the tree, and its bright red color, this type of flowers is proven to be very attractive to bees. I found this bee collecting pollen 3 minutes after I began my observation.


2. I found these pink roses right next to Mr. Quick's house. As you can see, the pink roses are very open to pollen transport as well. The thorns on the stem of these flowers are used primarily for defense against predators, which they developed throughout evolution.


3. I also found this type of flowers near Mr. Quick's house. Even though these flowers are lower than the two types above, their position at the top of the bushes make them completely exposed to the strong sunlight. Also, the bright color of the flowers makes them attractive to bees as well.

- Andy Liu '15

No comments:

Post a Comment